Welcome to my newest blog, which is just for those times when we are having holidays and/or travelling around our fascinating country, Australia. To read about our 7-month trip around Australia, see http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com to follow my mini adventures, visit http//:SnippetsfrommyStudio.blogspot.com To see some of my scrapbooking and how I develop in cardmaking, my newest hobby, visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com

Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday: Day 3 Grey Nomads

As I walked up to the amenities block at 7 this morning the air was filled with the sound of black cockatoos and they were flying back and forth overhead. I'm not sure which kind of black cockatoo they are, they were too high up to see the colour under their tails.  


I went for a walk around the place the other day and visited the prayer chapel.  It is just a little place, somewhere to go to pray or spend time thinking or just be alone.  It has a lovely atmosphere and is set in a pretty garden.
Prayer Chapel
 The stained glass window is really pretty and the side windows are each sandblasted with the famous  'praying hands' image.  I spent a bit of time there and found it very peaceful.

We went to all of the meetings today and found them a real blessing, it feels like food for the heart.  The workshop topic yesterday was photography, today it was nutrition.  We won't be going to the one tomorrow or the next day though. 


The other programs are also inspiring and Nathan enjoys them just as much as we do - he is so enthusiastic about everything and insists that we are definitely coming back next year.


We are taking our main meal at lunchtime in the dining room.  Today it was vegetarian lasagne, wedges, cauliflower, beans, lentil salad, egg salad, green salad, and trifle, apricots and creamed rice or fruit salad.  You pick what you want to be served.  It was delicious, though Nathan and I agreed that the lasagne wasn't quite as nice as Peter's vegetarian lasagne. 


Last night there was a full moon.  Not only was it full but it was the closest to the earth that it has been for (I think) 87 years - I might have the 7 wrong, but it is definitely 80- something.  The 3 men (Peter and two of our friends) went down to the beach to check out a good spot to take photos nice and early.  They were caught out though because the moon came up much earlier than they expected - and they hadn't taken their cameras with them!  Marilyn and I saw it rise through the trees, red-orange and absolutely huge.  It won't be as close to earth again for another 87 years so the guys are not happy chappies at all!


 We are all ready for bed tonight - I have already stayed up a good hour longer than planned.  If we walk briskly it takes a good 5 minutes to walk to the meeting tent.  So walking to each of the meetings and back to the tent, 5 minutes each way means a good 40 minutes brisk walking every day.  That's great.  Though Peter drives Nathan at night - with his lack of depth perception it is just so difficult for him to walk at night, it would take him half an hour to get there.


But I'm feeling much better already being able to get the walking in.  It has taken me a long time trying to get back any condition at all after the whooping cough and pneumonia so I'm really pleased.
See you tomorrow!
Blessings,
Sandie



4 comments:

  1. The little chapel is beautiful and I can imagine you would easily find peace there. What a shame about Peter missing the moon display but at least you have lovely scenery where-ever you look.
    Vicki xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we saw the moon Vicki even if there are no photos - and it is a memory I will carry with me forever. You are right, there is lovely scenery everywhere here. Sandie xx

      Delete
  2. Ahaaa, so this is where you've got to. Glad the weather has cleared up for you. Aren't the days gorgeous? Lovely camping area where you're staying. Seeya soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is just beautiful Susan, couldn't have asked for nicer! Looking forward to seeing you next week. Hugs Sandie

      Delete

I really appreciate comments, it means a lot to me that you spend the time and effort to leave them.

Popular Posts