Welcome to my newest blog, which is just for those times when we are having holidays and/or travelling around our fascinating country, Australia. To read about our 7-month trip around Australia, see http://SandrafromSydney.blogspot.com to follow my mini adventures, visit http//:SnippetsfrommyStudio.blogspot.com To see some of my scrapbooking and how I develop in cardmaking, my newest hobby, visit http://ScrappySnippets.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Up close and personal with some kangaroos

After Sunday I was even more sunburned on the back of the neck and around the shoulders where my blouse hadn't covered the skin.  In fact it formed lots of blisters so I kept out of the sun for Monday except for a walk around the Village site.  The people who erect the big tents that we had our meetings in for Camp came and took down the vinyl coverings and we watched them take them down on the tent nearest us.  They are all 20 metres x 40 metres so it is quite a procedure and interesting to watch.

On Tuesday we drove to Cooma, where my Great Aunt used to live.  I wanted to have a look at her house, and to visit the lolly shop that is quite well renowned.  Sadly though the lolly shop closed down last week so no sweet treat for us.

However I wanted to buy some thread and called in at a fabric store - isn't it wonderful how these still exist in small towns?  They are a dying breed in big cities I'm afraid.  While getting the thread I also saw some pretty Christmas fabrics in fat quarters that I will use for a Christmas project sometime.

That afternoon we walked up to the outdoor chapel on the hill above the village.  This is a wonderful setting, not too strenuous a climb up the hill and with nice views.

Outdoor chapel on the hillside

Looking out from the chapel, Lake Eucambine in the distance on the left
Peter was experimenting with his macro lens 
Then we wandered around the chalets (there are 12 of these)

Some of the chalets overlooking the whole area
and came across part of the mob of kangaroos again - about 20 of them this time. This young one was really sweet.


On the way back to our van it started to rain, and that continued steadily all night and most of yesterday (Wednesday).   We had a lazy day while it was teeming but it stopped in late afternoon and we went for a wander around the main lodge, along all the dormitories the again around the chalets.  Then we went down on the large green where we had the Fair on Sunday and tried to get some photos of the kangaroos down there.  They kept scattering so we couldn't get them all together.
So what are you doing down here with us?
I'll just keep washing my face and pretend I can't see you.
The alpaccas came to the fence to visit in the afternoon, and at dusk Peter was sitting in a chair under our caravan awning, when a very large buck (male roo) decided that he wanted to chew on the nice green grass in front of the van.  He was about 6 feet away from Peter and quite unconcerned about his presence.  These are the Eastern grey kangaroos, not the big red ones we have in central Australia but this buck was large.  I certainly wouldn't want to tangle with him!  We had the door open and Marilyn and I watched him while he ate his fill.  During the night we had more roo visitors and they left their calling cards on the green mesh we have outside the van.  We love having the wildlife around us, and it is probably good news that the wombat that was recuperating in one of the storm water pipes is now well enough to move on, even if it is disappointing that we haven't seen him.  This is a lovely place to stay and I think we'll stay on again after next year's big camp.

2 comments:

  1. Love the photo's and shame about the lolly shop, great about fabric shop though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly better for the waistline if not for the wallet, eh? I must go back to that fabric shop when I have a quilt pattern in mind. I did see a quilt on display that I might try......

      Delete

I really appreciate comments, it means a lot to me that you spend the time and effort to leave them.

Popular Posts